Lefay Resorts & SPA Lago di Garda living eco-sustainability
LOS ANGELES, California - Lefay Resort & SPA Lago di Garda is regarded as one of Italy’s foremost companies actively integrating business with sustainability.
LOS ANGELES, California – Lefay Resort & SPA Lago di Garda is regarded as one of Italy’s foremost companies actively integrating business with sustainability.
At the Lefay Resort everything has been designed to provide the maximum in comfort while respecting the environment. The perfect architectural integration of the resort into the surrounding countryside, the implementation of latest-generation technologies and the use of renewable energy sources has enabled the resort to reduce its carbon emissions by 1,130 tons per year. Lefay Resort & SPA Lago di Garda is the first wellness facility in Italy to sign a voluntary agreement for the promotion of common projects that aim to define a management system of carbon emissions specifically for the tourism sector.
President of Lefay Resorts Mrs. Liliana Leali said, “We are very proud for the reconfirmation of the Green Globe certification for Lefay Resort & SPA Lago di Garda. It represents a very important recognition – the confirmation of our commitment towards social and environmental responsibility, which is one of the fundamental values of our company, in which we keep on investing both energies and economic resources.”
Rather than being designed as a single compact building the resort features various individual units perfectly fitted into the terraced hillsides that reduce energy and heat dispersion. Respect for nature’s beauty is reflected in the interior design that features local natural materials – use of olive wood for the parquet floors, national walnut for the furniture and Verona red marble for the entrance floor and the bathroom.
To reduce the resort’s environmental impact, a power plant was built on site that includes a Biomass Plant fuelled by wood chips from local wood to produce thermal energy which covers approximately 70% of the resort’s thermal energy demands to heat rooms, swimming pools and produce sanitary warm water. The Micro-turbines Cogeneration Plant consists of two identical micro-turbines that use methane gas. Heat produced by the micro-turbines powers the heating system in Winter and an absorption cooling system in Summer. The plant produces 60% of the resort’s electrical energy demands when combined with the photovoltaic panels above the dining room. One of only a few in Italy, the absorption cooling system plant with state of the art technology generates 75% of cooling at the resort by using the heat exhausted through the micro-turbines and the biomass boiler. The remaining 25% of cooling is produced by a high-performance compression cooling system.
Another energy saving measure, a methane powered boiler covers some of the energy demands at the resort but also functions as a back up system if required.
Operational software has been implemented to assist with energy consumption. This includes a daytime light control system managed by dedicated software that receives information about natural light from a heliometer installed on the roof. Lighting within the resort is then adjusted according to the light intensity measurements. In addition, movement detectors control lighting in common areas and walkways. All electrical usage is continuously monitored by software that compares it with predefined maximum values. If electrical demands are excessive, the system can also control the partial or entire disconnection of users and groups of selected users according to a specified priority scheme.
Every area of sustainable operations is addressed at Lefay Resort. Recycling of waste materials is in place and guest informational materials including menus and notepaper are produced from recycled or ecological paper. Rainwater and water discharged from swimming pools is used for watering the grounds. All textiles including bed linen are made from natural cotton fibre and only chemical-free water paints have been used in the rooms. And to support the economic development of the region over half of the resort’s staff are from surrounding areas and local suppliers are used as much as possible.
ABOUT GREEN GLOBE CERTIFICATION
Green Globe is the worldwide sustainability system based on internationally-accepted criteria for sustainable operation and management of travel and tourism businesses. Operating under a worldwide license, Green Globe is based in California, USA, and is represented in over 83 countries. Green Globe is an Affiliate Member of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). Green Globe is also a member of the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC). For information, please visit www.greenglobe.com
Green Globe is a member of the International Coalition of Tourism Partners (ICTP) .