Tourism Authority of Thailand issues updates
The Tourism Authority of Thailand issued the following udpates with regard to the country's political standoff.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand issued the following udpates with regard to the country’s political standoff. Protestors remain camped out at Government House to demand prime minister Samak Sundaraveg’s resignation. The prime minister said he may consider revoking the state of emergency declared on September 2, telling reporters, “There is no need for the state of emergency because no noe has complied with it.” Following are the updates:
• The declaration of the state of emergency in Bangkok was in accordance with the rule of law and the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand. Furthermore, no action would be taken beyond that permission under the Constitution.
• The Emergency Decree is only a temporary measure. It may be rescinded once the situation returns to normal. The state of emergency in this instance has been limited to the Bangkok Metropolitan Area.
• Hat Yai International Airport has resumed normal services. For further information, please contact the Airports Authority of Thailand, Hat Yai office Tel: 074-227-000.
• Rail services in provincial areas of the north and northeastern regions are operating normally except in southern Thailand. Negotiations will be taking place with the authority concerned.
• Tourists and expats in Bangkok should avoid the immediate area around Government House.
• The vast majority of the city, including all the major tourist spots such as The Grand Palace, Wat Pho, and Wat Arun and others around the Sanam Luang (Royal ground) area, shopping centers and riverside attractions, as well as all roads and public/private transport systems are functioning normally. Travel is possible to all other parts of the country.
• The situation is being closely monitored by the authorities concerned. All tour operators and travel agents are also informed of the situation and are working at full capacity to ensure the safety and security of all visitors.