Kinondo Kwetu Trust in Kenya named best Rural Accommodation by Skal
For twelve consecutive years, the Skal International “Sustainable Development in Tourism” Awards have been presented during the Opening Ceremony of its annual World Congress.
For twelve consecutive years, the Skal International “Sustainable Development in Tourism” Awards have been presented during the Opening Ceremony of its annual World Congress. Skal recently closed its 74th World Congress aboard the Carnival Glory, the first time this yearly event took place on a cruise ship. This year, the Kinondo Kwetu Trust in Kenya won an award in the category of Rural Accommodation.
Kinondo Kwetu is situated in an area where the average income is among the lowest in Kenya. When the hotel started its operation there was no basic health care within reach for the people in the Kinondo village, and the local primary school was in great need of reparation and funding for teacher salaries.
It was obvious that Kinondo Kwetu cannot be an isolated paradise for tourists, but must give back to and integrate with the people around. That is why the Kinondo Kwetu Trust fund was founded. It has three main fields of activity:
• Kinondo Kwetu Clinic
• Support for the local primary school
• Sponsorship to finance school for motivated pupils
The Kinondo Kwetu Trust fund is funded by donations from private persons and charitable organizations. It gives the hotel guests an opportunity to contribute to a meaningful purpose. That is the hotel’s perception of sustainable tourism.
– October 2009: Kenya Ministry of Health: Recognition of facilities for best performance in offering quality TB/HIV services.
– November 2009: Kenya Ministry of Health: Recognition of Kinondo Laboratory facility for offering good services.
– April 2010: Sven-Olof Isaksson, Professor Emeritus of Medicine at Lund University, in a mail to Kinondo Kwetu’s owners: ”I have visited many health centers during this month in Kenya – dispensaries, district hospitals, province hospitals, and the Kenyatta hospital in Nairobi. Your clinic appears as a model for many others. I also hope that it will be the case. I have already told about it and will tell about its operation in lectures during this year.”
Click here for a pictorial presentation of the Kinondo Kwetu Trust.
For more information, visit www.kinondo-kwetu.com
Skal is a member of the International Coalition of Tourism Partners (ICTP) .