Foreign Affairs said Sunday that four Canadians who were listed as missing after a strong earthquake rocked Costa Rica on Thursday have been found.
“I have received information that the four Canadian citizens that were reported missing have now been in touch with their family,” said spokesman Daniel Barbarie.
As is custom, Foreign Affairs officials would not release any information on the Canadians citing privacy concerns. Barbarie said there had been no reports of Canadians injured or killed as a result of the earthquake.
“Costa Rica is a popular destination for backpackers and sunseekers who often do not leave behind well detailed travel itineraries,” Barbarie said. “We are urging Canadians in Costa Rica to contact family and friends in Canada to inform them of their safety.”
About 40 people are missing and 20 dead after Thursday’s 6.1-magnitude quake north of San Jose, according to the latest numbers from Reuters.
However, a local media outlet on Sunday said there were 30 dead. Inside Costa Rica also reported Sunday there were more than a 100 people still missing, presumed perished under the debris of the sliding mountains, mudslides and rubble of homes.
Hundreds of Costa Ricans and foreign tourists stranded by cut-off roads have already been moved to shelters or evacuated by air to the capital San Jose.
Colombia and the United States have sent military helicopters to help the Costa Rican government. The helicopters were also used to rescue tourists from mountaintop resorts.