Spring on The Mediterranean Islands of Malta
A Feast of Festivals and Events
While the sun shines all year round in Malta, the Spring season is one of the best times to visit this hidden gem of the Mediterranean. One of the endless highlights of the Maltese Islands at this time are the many diverse and colorful festivals and events, ranging from the spectacular International Fireworks Festival to music festivals and scenic marathons.
While visiting Malta, visitors will not want to miss the opportunity to witness this amazing fireworks spectacle that takes place from April 18-30, 2020. Each night, fireworks designed by local and foreign companies compete for Pyromusical awards. Accompanied by music, the fireworks take place in three venues, Valletta’s Grand Harbour, Marsaxlokk, and Gozo, providing a lively and colorful display in the Maltese skies. For a prime view, stand near the Grand Harbor Hotel, Upper Barrakka Gardens and the Barriera Wharf area in Valletta.
Malta is well known internationally for its local collection of Classic and Vintage cars. Car aficionados will enjoy this unique event that showcases exquisite classic and vintage cars from both local collectors as well as those from all over the world. The Valletta Concours d’Elegance takes place Valletta’s historic St. George’s Square on May 31.
For active visitors, marathons are a great way to get a workout in while being rewarded with the scenic landscape of the beautiful Maltese Islands.
- Malta Marathon – this yearly event happening on March 1, 2020, is perfect for avid runners who will race through towns from Mdina to Sliema, there is also a half marathon and walkathon for a more laid back option.
- Gozo Half Marathon – On April 25-26, 2020, take part in Malta’s oldest road race and discover the natural beauty of the island of Gozo.
Enjoy Music in Malta
Malta’s medley of music festivals will appeal to guests of all ages and music tastes.
- Lost & Found Festival – April 30 – May 3, 2020, enjoy a pre-summer party on the sunny island of Malta including an electronic dance lineup.
- Earth Garden – June 4 – June 7, 2020 kickoff summer with a 4-day music festival at the National Park offering a variety of genres over six music stages.
- GĦANAFEST – June 6 – June 13, 2020 experience traditional Maltese folk music from both local and international artists that the whole family can enjoy.
For more information about spring events in Malta, please see visitmalta.com
The sunny islands of Malta, in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, are home to a most remarkable concentration of intact built heritage, including the highest density of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in any nation-state anywhere. Valletta built by the proud Knights of St. John is one of the UNESCO sites and was the European Capital of Culture for 2018. Malta’s patrimony in stone ranges from the oldest free-standing stone architecture in the world, to one of the British Empire’s most formidable defensive systems, and includes a rich mix of domestic, religious and military architecture from the ancient, medieval and early modern periods. With superbly sunny weather, attractive beaches, a thriving nightlife and 7,000 years of intriguing history, there is a great deal to see and do. www.visitmalta.com
Gozo’s colors and flavors are brought out by the radiant skies above it and the blue sea which surrounds its spectacular coast, which is simply waiting to be discovered. Steeped in myth, Gozo is thought to be the legendary Calypso’s isle of Homer’s Odyssey – a peaceful, mystical backwater. Baroque churches and old stone farmhouses dot the countryside. Gozo’s rugged landscape and spectacular coastline await exploration with some of the Mediterranean’s best dive sites.