The premier of the Turks and Caicos, Michael Misick, has confirmed that Providenciales, the main tourism island of Turks and Caicos Islands, has re-opened for business following the battering from Hurricane Ike.
As previously reported, Grand Turk, Salt Cay and South Caicos –where damages are extensive–bore the brunt of Hurricane Ike. There are no reports of injuries or fatalities.
In Providenciales, Ike’s impact on private citizens’ property, and government and tourism establishments is limited. Providenciales’ power and phone service were restored, while Providenciales International Airport is open with two flights from American Airlines arriving on Monday.
“We are fortunate the majority of our tourism infrastructure on Providenciales is intact as no resorts, restaurants or other structures have suffered significant damage. Many of our hotel and restaurant partners are expected to reopen this week,” said Primer Michael Misick.
“We are eager to restore normality as soon as possible under the circumstances and look forward to extending the warm hospitality the Turks & Caicos Islands has become synonymous with very shortly,” the premier told reporters.
The Turks & Caicos Islands Tourist Board and the Turks & Caicos Islands government’s Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies said it finalize a complete assessment of Hurricane Ike’s impact in the coming days. We will then provide further updates at that time.