Tourists in Crete in for a violent awakening: Earthquake!
eTN Podcasts: www.livestream.travel
Tourists in Creta had a rude awakening this morning when this Greek tourist island of Creta was struck by a strong earthquake at 9.23 am Friday morning local time., just a day after 23 people were killed at an earthquake in Albania.
- 43.5 km (27.0 mi) NW of Kssamos, Greece
- 73.1 km (45.3 mi) WNW of Chani, Greece
- 117.3 km (72.7 mi) WNW of Rethymno, Greece
- 167.3 km (103.7 mi) SSE of Sprti, Greece
- 175.8 km (109.0 mi) WNW of Irkleion, Greece
The 6.5 magnitude shock was felt as far away as Athens when it hit on Wednesday morning.
Buildings, including universities and schools, have reportedly been evacuated.