Malacañang on Sunday remained tight-lipped on the replacement of Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim, whose resignation takes effect on August 31.
However, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. on Sunday gave a clue that the next Tourism executive is close to the heart of President Benigno Aquino III.
He added that the next chief of the Department of Tourism is Aquino’s “personal choice” coming from the private sector.
Ochoa said President Aquino will make the official announcement on or before August 31. “He will authorize the announcement. He will just give the person a chance to get familiarize with the job,” he added.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte, when asked about the new Tourism chief, declined to comment deferring the announcement to the President.
President Aquino said, in an interview in Baguio City Friday, that he already chose a replacement for outgoing Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim.
“That is done, there is already a replacement. He will take office, by
August 31, if I am not mistaken,” the President said but declined to reveal name.
Asked by reporters to describe the new secretary of tourism, the President said: “He has the qualities that are necessary that I think can fast track tourism growth. So, I would rather let him talk about the plans that he will be implementing.”
He added that the next Tourism chief has been studying the Tourism Act, the bureaucracies as well as how to work with government in preparation for his work.
Lim quit his post last week saying that he wants to focus more on his family.