SACEOS – the Singapore Association of Convention and Exhibition Organizers and Suppliers – and ACCCLATAM, the Association of Convention Centers of the Caribbean and Latin America – are the latest industry organizations to join with global colleagues as members of the Joint Meetings Industry Council (JMIC). The two associations, along with SISO – the Society of Independent Show Organizers – make for a total of three additions to the Council roster in the last three months and illustrate a new momentum since the approval late last year of a new Charter and Strategic Plan for the industry body.
“Along with a strong new sense of direction as approved at our most recent Council meeting in Barcelona in November has come an enhanced sense of engagement as reflected in the addition of these valued new members and several more recent member applications which we are currently processing” said JMIC President Kai Hattendorf, who is also CEO of UFI, the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry. “These new members, particularly in terms of the strong geographic diversity they represent, illustrate the importance we are placing on having comprehensive industry engagement in the process of more effectively representing and speaking for the global industry.”
The final meeting of the Joint Meetings Industry Council for 2018 delivered a consensus on a number of key structural changes intended to guide the ongoing development of the Council, including a new and unanimously agreed Charter that set out the nature of Council responsibilities, a revised constitution in the form of a Letter of Agreement amongst members and a streamlined Strategic Plan, all of which were developed as a direct outcome of the Meetings Industry Global Summit that took place in Hannover earlier in 2018.
“We will continue to build momentum as we enter into an important new phase for JMIC as the global meetings industry representative”, said Hattendorf. “To do the job properly and to generate the kind of credibility needed to support this it is important not only that we have our messaging and facts straight but that we are also seen to represent the full spectrum of industry interests. Given the huge diversity in our industry this is a big job – but these latest additions to our membership are moving us a lot closer to where we need to be”.
The Joint Meetings Industry Council (JMIC) is an organization that represents the combined interests of international Meetings Industry associations. It has provided a forum for information exchange and recognition amongst industry groups for well over 50 years and has recently become more engaged in the process of documenting and communicating the diverse values of the industry to broader community and governmental audiences.
The active member associations who comprise JMIC today are:
• AACVB | the Asian Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus
• ACCCLATAM | the Association of Convention Centers of the Caribbean and Latin America
• AIPC | the International Association of Convention Centers
• ASAE | the American Society of Association Executives
• Cocal | the Latin American Confederation of PCO and Related Companies
• ECM | European Cities Marketing
• EVVC | European Association of Event Centers
• IAPCO | the International Association of Professional Congress Organizers
• ICCA | the International Congress and Convention Association
• MPI | Meeting Professionals International
• PCMA | the Professional Convention Management Association
• SACEOS | the Singapore Association of Convention and Exhibition Organizers and Suppliers
• SISO | the Society of Independent Show Organizers
• SITE | Society for Incentive Travel Excellence
• UFI | the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry
• UIA | the Union of International Associations