Seychelles National Museum of History opens its doors
The new Seychelles National Museum of History is in the center of Victoria in an impressive building that was constructed in 1885
The new Seychelles National Museum of History is in the center of Victoria in an impressive building that was constructed in 1885 by the “Banque Orientale.” This was the first modern building of the Seychelles which was at that time being administered as part of Mauritius.
In 1892 the Bank closed its doors and the land on which stood the city centre building reverted back to the Government and they also bought the building for Rupees 30. The building then became the Supreme Court and the island’s Treasury. The Supreme Court remained in this building until 2013.
In 1984 the building was declared a National Monument.
The National Museum on its part was first created in 1965. It was an annex of the National Archives that was situated in the Carnegie Building. It had two main sections the History and Natural History. In 1992 the National Archives was transferred to new facilities in State House Avenue where the Museum was positioned on the ground floor. In 2004 the National Museum of History was moved to the National Cultural Centre in Francis Rachel Street and has now been relocated in 2018 in this impressive city center building.