The IIPT Peace Through Tourism conference in Zambia was the venue for the pre-launch for the International Council of Tourism Partners (ICTP) first global destination alliance.
The CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St. Ange and Chairman of the International Council of Tourism Partners, eTN Publisher Juergen Thomas Steinmetz used the Lusaka, Zambia IIPT conference “Meeting the Challenges of Climate Change to Tourism” to make a pre-launch announcement for the new International Council of Tourism Partners destination alliance.
ICTP members will actively support national Green Growth strategies for carbon targets and sustainable travel & tourism through online support from greenearth.travel. Marketing assistance will be available through a world-class team of marketing and business development professionals.
Features, Advantages and Benefits
Steinmetz commented, “ICTP alliance members will benefit from joint- marketing and branding opportunities in primary and secondary markets which is ideal for small to medium-size destinations that may not have the resources for developing and implementing projects independently.”
The global travel alliance is:
• Ideal for small to medium-size destination
• A joint marketing effort. When one destination is unable to do it alone (i.e. provide representation at trade shows, organize/present electronic and virtual conferences, implement public relations, social media, publicity, advertising and sales promotions campaigns), the synergy of the alliance will enable even the smallest destination to have representation
• Able to provide cooperative media outreach through the use of social/electronic media conferences in primary and secondary markets
• Committed to strategic alliances for public – private partnership development
• Enthusiastic about the opportunities available through shared market research projects
• Assertively developing a domestic /international Smart Card reward system for trade professionals and leisure travelers
Board of Directors
Alliance Board Members currently include:
• Prof. Geoffrey Lipman, Director of Greenearth, former Assistant Secretary General for the UNWTO, and the first president of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC)
• Feisol Hashim, President of the Indonesian-based Alam Hotel Group and former Director of ASEAN Tourism. Hashim has also been a member of the PATA industry board and currently is the Hon. Consul for Malaysia in Bali, Indonesia
• Alain St. Ange is the Director of the Seychelles Tourism Board and initiated the internationally recognized Seychelles Carnival
• Juergen Thomas Steinmetz is the Publisher of eTN Publishing (including www.eturbonews.com, eTN Buzz, TourismExecutives.com). Steinmetz is a member of the UNWTO Task Group Against Exploitation of Children Through Tourism and a member of the US Department of Commerce Export Council. In addition, he is a member of the PATA industry Board of Directors
• Dr. Elinor Garely, a member of the faculty of the City University of New York, Coordinator of Travel and Tourism Studies at BMCC. Dr. Garely developed the first hotel/restaurant management program for the University of Shanghai, PRC and directed the first US/Russia joint-venture hotel project in Moscow.
Confirmed founding destination members include the Seychelles and Zimbabwe. Alliance members can be countries, regions and cities.
The International Institute for Peace Through Tourism and the Africa Travel Association have pledged their willingness to cooperate with this new alliance.
The alliance has been approached by numerous destinations and plans to announce more founders before the official launch.
The formal announcement of the global launch of the alliance will be held at the World Travel Market in London, November 2011.
The alliance will be represented in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Brussels, Belgium and Victoria, Seychelles. A new web portal will be introduced in November 2011.