“Easter is usually a good time for domestic tourism in Cape Town when visitors from across the country soak in the remainder of the warm days in Cape Town. Autumn in the Mother City is marked by mild sunny days and great events and activities aimed at the whole family. We are looking forward to welcoming our domestic guests to the Mother City and urge those traveling by road to drive safely. Be vigilant at all times, keep hydrated and awake, stop to stretch your legs, and whatever you do – do not drink and drive!” encouraged CEO of Cape Town Tourism, Mariette du Toit-Helmbold.
Friday, 22 April 22, 2011 marks the start of the Easter holidays this year, and includes that long-awaited, four-day weekend when loved ones come together for some great family fun. Cape Town’s tourism establishments look forward to this time of year as domestic tourism increases, with travelers from across the country descending on Cape Town to spend some quality time with family and friends.
Not only is Easter a time for family and fun but it also signals a change of season. A season of culinary delights, wines, books, and culture; a season when engaging with nature is easier without the heat, and winter adventure activities are the order of the day.
“There is so much to see and do in Cape Town during the winter months,” continued du Toit-Helmbold, “Granted it means less time spent on the beach, but there are beautiful walks in forests, exploring the Cape’s heritage, and experiencing our many indoor activities.”
Travelers to Cape Town are welcome to contact Cape Town Tourism on +27 21 487 6800 or to visit any one of their eighteen Visitor Information Centers across the city ( get directions here: www.capetown.travel/industry/about_us/visitor_centre_directions/ ).
A Few Easter Weekend Activities for Adults:
• Do the Wine Tour extension to City Sightseeing’s Blue Mini Peninsula Tour. The tour takes visitors to Groot Constantia and Eagles’ Nest in the Cape’s oldest wine growing region, Constantia Valley. Call +27 21 511 6000 or visit www.citysightseeing.co.za .
• Jazz lovers can attend weekly Sunday Jazz Brunches at Winchester Mansions in Sea Point until 24 April 2011. Harveys restaurant serves a fine food brunch in the romantic courtyard or terraces (overlooking the Atlantic Seaboard) whilst jazz shows are performed by local and international jazz artists. Call +27 21 434 2351 or visit www.winchester.co.za .
• Take part in Fun Runs (Rondebosch) or the Friendship Run (V&A Waterfront) of the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon on Good Friday and choose from a variety of distances. Call +27 21 657 5140 or visit www.twooceansmarathon.org.za .
• Dads, catch the Canal Walk Motor Show between 27 April – 2 May at the Canal Walk Shopping Centre in Century City. Call +27 21 529 9638 or visit www.canalwalk.co.za for more information.
• Stroll Cape Town’s biggest gourmet and artisan market featuring clothing, shoe and jewellery designers, specialty traders, fine-food purveyors, organic merchants, fresh produce, boutique wine estates, micro-breweries and more. Only on Saturdays from 09h00 – 14h00 at The Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock. Call +27 21 448 1438 or visit www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za .
A Few Easter Weekend Activities for Kids:
• The Two Oceans Aquarium at the V&A Waterfront is open every day and is filled with over 3000 marine life specimens from the Indian and Atlantic oceans. During the Easter holidays the Two Oceans Aquarium will be hosting Easter Egg Hunts and snake shows (22 April – 2 May). Call +27 21 418 3823, email email@example.com or visit www.aquarium.co.za .
• The V&A Waterfront boasts over 450 retail stores, craft markets, the Aquarium, the scratch-patch, boat charters and street entertainers. During the Easter holidays kiddies’ rides (and the permanent Wheel of Excellence) will be offered between 11-15 April near the Two Oceans Aquarium, a Pirate Boat Jungle Gym will be on offer for the Easter weekend, and there will be a Lindt Easter Village at Barrow Court from 19 – 25 April where little ones can enjoy chocolate in the Lindt Garden and enter colour-in competitions for Lindt prizes. Call +27 21 408 7600, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.waterfront.co.za .
• The Zip Zap circus is the oldest circus in Cape Town and provides top circus entertainment for the whole family. During the Easter holidays the Zip Zap Circus will be hosting a show called Just Kidding (21 – 27 April). Call +27 21 421 8622, email email@example.com or visit www.zip-zap.co.za .
• Atlantic Rail offers train rides along the Peninsula coast line in an old vintage steam train dating back to 1938. During the Easter holidays, on 25 April, Atlantic Rail will be running the Easter Bunny Train – a one and a half hour trip on the steam train through the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town with Easter treats for the little ones. Call +27 21 556 1012, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.atlanticrail.co.za .
Please also make use of Cape Town Kids’ fantastic guide on http://www.capetownkids.co.za/guides/entry/school-holiday-guide .