The management of Philippine Airlines yesterday assured all its passengers that they are well prepared to deal with the repeated threat of their ground workers to go on strike, stressing that contingency plans are in place to make sure that all of their flights go on as scheduled.
PAL President Jaime Bautista assured this following the threat of a work stoppage by Philippine Airlines Employees Association (PALEA) president Gerry Rivera Friday.
Rivera made the threat of a work stoppage despite certification from Department of Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz remanding PAL’s dispute with its workers to the National Labor Relations Commission (NLRC) for compulsory arbitration.
As of 4 p.m. yesterday, no work stoppage had been observed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 2 with all PAL flights operating normally.
Bautista said PAL fully respects the decision of Baldoz and called for the union members to do the same.
“PAL will follow the DoLE order but any illegal action of the PAL Employees Association to disrupt airline operations will not be treated lightly,” Bautista said.
According to Bautista, PAL was only informed late Friday night that Sec. Baldoz issued a certification order remanding PAL’s dispute with its workers to the NLRC. He said the airline management has yet to receive an official copy of the order.
Bautista disclosed that despite PALEA’s pre-strike rally last Friday which snarled traffic near the NAIA Terminal 1 and 2 complex, all PAL flights operated on schedule.