All Russian tourists will leave Egypt within the next few days, following two weeks of violent unrest, a Russian foreign policy official said on Tuesday.
Nearly 300 people have been killed in protests demanding the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak that began last month.
“I can tell you that in the next two days there will be no Russian tourists left there,” the head of the foreign ministry’s consular department, Andrei Karlov, told RIA Novosti.
There are currently up to 4,500 Russian tourists in Egypt, mainly in resorts like Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada that are deemed to be safe.
The unrest has had an adverse effect on Egypt’s tourism sector, with tourists leaving in their thousands, and major attractions and sights standing empty.