WASHINGTON– U.S. Customs and Border Protection announces today some of its top seizures of 2010. With officers and agents protecting our nation’s borders, processing almost a million travelers a day, interceptions of cross-border tunnel smuggling operations and record narcotic seizures in Laredo and Washington State account for just a fraction of enforcement actions CBP performs each year.
From finding tigers in the Texas desert, bugs and designer baubles in Los Angeles, and scuba diving smugglers in Arizona sewers, CBP personnel protect our nation’s borders in a multitude of ways. These seizures demonstrate the effectiveness of our layered approach to security, comprised of a balance of tactical infrastructure, technology, and personnel at our borders.
Our officers and agents make thousands of seizures each year; these are some examples that personify the vigilance and service of our diverse agency and mission:
1. Multi-Agency Task Force Uncovers Border Tunnel, Seizes 30 Tons of Marijuana
2. Fourteen Persons Charged with Conspiracy to Smuggle $3.1 Million in Cash into Mexico
3. Laredo CBP Officers Seize $12.7 Million in Heroin
4. CBP U.S. Border Patrol Seizes More Than $9 Million Worth of Ecstasy
5. New “First in the Nation” Pest Halted at LA/LB Seaport- Interception Marks Second “First in the Nation” for CBP Los Angeles in Past Two Months
6. Los Angeles CBP Seizes More than $18 Million in Counterfeit Sunglasses- Louis Vuitton, Versace and Coach among the Counterfeit Trademarks
7. Border Patrol Agents Seize Scuba Gear, Marijuana in Sewer System
8. Laredo Border Patrol Agents Discover Abandoned Bengal Tiger
9. Tacoma Seaport U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officers Seize Shipment of Machineguns
10. $9 Million in Marijuana Stopped by CBP in Railroad Shipment
U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation’s borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terriost weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.