KINGSTON, Jamaica – Jamaica took top honors in several key categories at the 2010 World Travel Awards Americas Gala, held on October 22 at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa in Jamaica.
For the fifth consecutive year Jamaica was recognized as the Caribbean’s Leading Destination, while the Jamaica Tourist Board was recognized for the fourth consecutive year as the Caribbean’s Leading Tourist Board. Jamaica also brought home accolades for the Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Destination, Caribbean’s Leading Cruise Port (Ocho Rios), Caribbean’s Leading Airport (Sangster International Airport) and Caribbean’s Leading Meetings & Conference Centre (Jamaica Conference Centre, Kingston).
In celebrating Jamaica’s tremendous success Tourism Minister, the Hon. Edmund Bartlett, expressed that winning the awards further underscore that as a brand Jamaica continues to stand tall. Minister Bartlett emphasized that being recognized by the World Travel Awards, is indeed a prestigious achievement, adding that the accolades and recognition speaks to the excellence and service quality assurance that visitors can expect when they select destination Jamaica.
“We’re thrilled to again be recognized as a top Caribbean destination,” said Jamaica’s Director of Tourism John Lynch. “These awards reaffirm that our tireless efforts to promote destination Jamaica, coupled with continued growth and refurbishment of our tourism infrastructure, have proven a successful strategy in positioning Jamaica as a tourism leader.”
Many of Jamaica’s resorts and travel partners were also recognized, further illustrating the destination’s outstanding tourism product:
· Caribbean’s Leading Family All-Inclusive: Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
· Caribbean’s Leading Villa Resort: Round Hill Hotel & Villas
· Caribbean’s Leading Travel Agency: Trafalgar Travel
· Caribbean’s Leading Excursion Operator: Chukka Caribbean Adventures
· Caribbean’s Leading Car Hire: Avis Car Rental Jamaica
· Jamaica’s Leading Golf Resort: Half Moon, Montego Bay
· Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort: Half Moon, Montego Bay
· Jamaica’s Leading Hotel: Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
· Jamaica’s Leading Resort: Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa
· Jamaica’s Leading Business Hotel: Spanish Court Hotel
· Jamaica’s Leading Boutique Hotel: Strawberry Hill