Today Hilton issued this press release to tell the world why they are calling their group a leading global hospitality company.
According to the release in 2017 Hilton (NYSE: HLT) achieved landmark growth and expansion in Asia Pacific, while introducing industry leading guest innovations and being recognized as as one of Asia’s best multinational workplaces. Having recently appointed Alan Watts as its new Executive Vice President & President, Asia Pacific and Qian Jin as the first Area President for Greater China & Mongolia, the company is looking ahead to an even bigger year in 2018.
The year marked extensive expansion in the region with the opening of more than 40 hotels, including the 100th hotel in China and the 200th hotel in Asia Pacific, plus the introduction of the Curio Collection by Hilton brand in China and Australia. The company’s strong workplace culture, which includes the launch last year of Thrive@Hilton, was rewarded by Great Place to Work awards in key countries and Asia-wide. Meanwhile, having welcomed more than 10 million guests throughout the year, 2017 saw the roll-out of the revolutionary Digital Key, continuing the company’s legacy of guest innovation in the industry.
“It was an amazing year of further growth for Hilton in Asia Pacific in 2017, coupled with recognition of our position as a market leading employer and the most innovative in our industry,” said Watts. “Travel and Tourism continues its rise to become a leading employer and contributor to Asia’s economy and we are at the forefront of a trend that will see us create hundreds of thousands of jobs across the region in future years.”
“Having recently joined the company on the back of such impressive results, I have great confidence that 2018 will propel us to an even higher level, as we begin the countdown to Hilton’s 100th Anniversary in 2019,” he continued.
APAC Growth Highlights
- Expanded Hilton’s footprint throughout the region with more than 40 hotel openings, driving strong growth across the portfolio of 14 brands, including the launch of Conrad Osaka, Hilton Garden Inn Singapore Serangoon and Hilton Mandalay.
- Opened the 100th hotel in China, Hilton Quanzhou Riverside, and the 200th hotel in Asia Pacific, Waldorf Astoria Chengdu.
- With 220 hotels in operation by year-end and 415 hotels in the pipeline, Hilton is one of the fastest-growing global hospitality companies in Asia Pacific, with nearly one quarter of rooms under construction carrying a Hilton flag.
- Signed 164 deals, spanning 30,000 rooms, with highlights including the first Canopy by Hilton in the region, a landmark portfolio deal comprising six hotels in Sri Lanka, four significant approvals in Vietnam and more than 100 deals in China including the company’s return to Taiwan with Hilton Taipei.
- Following an enhancement of Hilton Honors benefits, Hilton now has eight million Hilton Honors members in Asia Pacific.
- Introduced Digital Key to Singapore, China and Japan.
- Rolled out “Meet with Purpose“ across hotels in Asia Pacific, to offer meeting and event clients a mindful, sustainable and well-balanced meeting experience.
World’s Best Workplace
- More than 48,000 Team Members in Asia Pacific across Hilton’s corporate offices and portfolio of owned/leased, managed and franchised hotels.
- Recognised as one of Asia’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work, building on wins in Australia, India, Sri Lanka and China.
- Celebrated the first graduates of the Hilton Vocational Training Center, who gained full-time employment with Hilton in the developing market of Myanmar.
- Continued to create opportunities with a focus on diversity and inclusion through Women in Leadership programs.
- Rolled out Thrive@Hilton, an employee value proposition that enables Team Members to grow and flourish in body, mind and spirit. Hilton has worked with the experts at Thrive Global, to create the benefits and programs that matter most to Team Members.
- Released the 2017 Global Youth Wellbeing Index, in partnership with International Youth Foundation, at the United Nations Youth Assembly. The Global Youth Wellbeing Index is designed to facilitate global action, elevating youth needs and opportunities while encouraging young people’s participation on national and global agendas.
- Partnered with the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation to support 60 youth-led charity societies in universities across China to impact their local communities.
- Strengthened communities through Global Week of Service and disaster relief efforts, including the response to the earthquake in Jiuzhaigou, China.
- Eliminated the use of plastic bottles at all meetings, events, gyms and spas in all Hilton hotels in China, preventing 13 million plastic bottles of waste annually.
In 2018, Hilton is set to continue its rapid expansion, including the opening of Waldorf Astoria Bangkok, marking the luxury brand’s arrival in South East Asia. Already this year the company has opened its second luxury property in India, Conrad Bengaluru. Having enhanced its leadership team in China in 2017, the company has also recently appointed Navjit Ahluwalia as Senior Vice President and Country Head, India.