UK travelers like to try out new sports on holiday


Research has revealed that 7.1 million UK travelers have learned a sport or hobby on holiday in the past three years. That is 7.1 million potential accidents. That is why when going on holiday, if you know you are going to try some new sport or activity, it is a wise idea to get yourself a travel insurance policy, as these may not be covered by a standard insurance.

For example, activities such as bungee jumping, mountain biking, or even tennis often require additional travel insurance cover, as travel insurance can cover for any unforeseen circumstances, such as personal injury and medical expenses or the loss or damage of equipment.

In addition to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), some UK travelers taking activity holidays in Europe may wrongly assume that any required medical treatment will be covered by the EHIC. However, the EHIC should not be seen as an alternative to travel insurance. Although the EHIC entitles the holder to the equivalent medical care as a resident in participating countries, it does not cover the cost of repatriation or private treatment. In many countries travelers may automatically be taken to a private clinic after an accident – so travel insurance should be considered vital.