Puerto Rico got hit by Hurricane Irma. Puerto Rico’s tourism infrastructure has allowed the island to resume regular operations of hotels, sites and attractions beginning this week. The island is continuing to welcome travellers with planned vacations in September and beyond, and has also become a transient hub for travellers across the Caribbean.
The Puerto Rico Tourism Company reports that nearly all hotels are operational and are receiving guests.
Marriott hotels including San Juan Marriott, Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and AC Hotel by Marriott welcomed approximately 700 guests from St. Thomas, St. Maarten and St. John.
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar in Rio Grande, has welcomed approximately 300 guests from St. Thomas. Additionally, crew from the St. Thomas air traffic control centre are staying on the property.
- The staff members of FEMA are staying at the InterContinental San Juan
El Conquistador Resort, The Meliá Coco Beach, Hotel El Convento and all Marriott and Hilton properties on the island, among others, are also in full operation, taking reservations for future travellers, and welcoming new guests.
While some power outages are present throughout the island, most of the island has power and the majority of the hotels, as well as essential services on the island such as hospitals and supermarkets, have electric service and are fully operational.
Visitors with questions about travel to Puerto Rico can call the PRTC hotline at 877.976.2400 or call their hotels directly for more information.
Updates from individual hotels in Puerto Rico are as follows:
- Condado Plaza Hilton: Minor damage.
- El Conquistador Resort: El Conquistador Resort is operational.
- El San Juan Hotel: The hotel received minimal damage
- Hotel El Convento: The hotel escaped damage and resumed operations on 11 September.
- Hyatt House San Juan: The hotel is open and operating.
- Hyatt Place Bayamon: Open and operating.
- Hyatt Place Manati: Open and operating.
- Hyatt Place San Juan City Center: Open and operating.
- Hyatt Residence Club Dorado: Open and operating.
- InterContinental San Juan: Business as usual.
- Rincon Beach: Open for business.
- Royal Islabela, A Destination Hotel – Open and accepting guests
- San Juan Water Beach Club Hotel: Sustained no damage, have full power, and open for business.
- Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar: Open and operating.
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar: Sustained minimal damage and is currently open.