Tour operators should make sure they protect holidaymakers from food poisoning, the widow of a man who died after contracting salmonella has said.
Geoffrey Appleyard, 71, from Evesham in Worcestershire, died in June 2008 after falling ill at the Grand Hotel in Lake Garda, Italy.
A coroner has recorded a verdict of misadventure and said Mr Appleyard died of salmonella poisoning.
The coroner added he contracted the illness from food at the hotel.
Several other people had to be taken to hospital after falling ill at the hotel.
After the inquest Jean Appleyard said it was important the fact that salmonella played a part in her husband’s death had been recognized.
“We went to the Grand Hotel for a luxury holiday,” she said.
“It is simply appalling that we fell ill and Geoffrey contracted something as serious as salmonella at a hotel like that.”
Tour operators have to ensure they are doing everything they possibly can to make sure holidaymakers are protected from outbreaks like that, she said.
At the time of Mr Appleyard’s death tour company Thomson said it was confident the outbreak was an isolated case.
The hotel was once a favourite destination for Winston Churchill who would often sit and paint the lake.