US citizen international travel up seven percent
WASHINGTON, DC - US travel to overseas markets totaled 2.4 million, up seven percent in September and almost seven percent for the year (23.8 million).
WASHINGTON, DC – US travel to overseas markets totaled 2.4 million, up seven percent in September and almost seven percent for the year (23.8 million). Regional results for the month were as follows:
• Europe, 1.2 million travelers, up six percent
• Caribbean, 347,000 travelers, up 10 percent
• Asia, 339,000 travelers, up seven percent
• Middle East, 133,000 travelers, up 20 percent
• Central America, 121,000 travelers, up four percent
• South America, 113,000 travelers, up one percent
• Oceania, 38,000 travelers, up three percent
• Africa, 29,000 travelers, up nine percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 2.7 million and was up seven percent compared to September 2013. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (28.3 million) was up 12 percent.
• Mexico, 1.6 million travelers, up 11 percent in September. Air travel (305,000) was up two percent. Border 1+ nights up 15 percent and ‘Tourist’ (longer haul) travel up five percent.
• Canada, 1.2 million travelers, up one percent. Air travel (394,000) up eight percent
September 2014 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 46 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
• Europe, a 18 percent share;
• Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
• Asia, a six percent share;
• Central America, a four percent share;
• South America, a three percent share;
• Middle East, a three percent share;
• Oceania, a one percent share, and
• Africa, a one percent share
North American markets received 54 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
• U.S. travel to Mexico a 35 percent share; and
• Canada a 19 percent share.