Submit Press release  eTN Team ·  Advertising  ·  eTN Awards  - Worldtourism Events    


Bombers held over Egypt tourist attack

May 18, 2009

CAIRO — An Egyptian cabinet minister said on Monday that those behind a bomb attack on a Cairo tourist site that killed a teenage French girl in February have been arrested, the official MENA news agency reported.

"The security services have detained those elements who carried out the Al-Hussein terrorist attack," the news agency quoted Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Mufid Shehab as saying.

Shehab told MENA he had been informed of the arrests by Interior Minister Habib al-Adli.

The February 22 nail-bomb attack in the famed 14th century Khan al-Khalili bazaar on the square outside Al-Hussein mosque killed the 17-year-old girl and wounded another 24 people -- 17 French, three Saudis, three Egyptians and a German.

It was the first deadly attack on tourists in Egypt since 2006.

Shehab said without elaborating that those held belong to "a cell comprising Egyptians and people of various other nationalities."

In the wake of the attack police said they had arrested three suspects, but no charges were brought against them.

The improvised device had been placed underneath a marble bench on which the French girl was sitting when it exploded.

Bombers held over Egypt tourist attack
The attack targeted the famed Khan al-Khalili bazaar / Image via AFP

Source: AFP

Premium Partners