Tourism officers under probe
Kuala Lumpur - Two senior officers in the Tourism Ministry are under internal investigation for alleged misappropriation of government funds.
Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said the investigations started about two weeks ago.
He said the two would be suspended if they were found guilty.
Tengku Adnan however denied reports that he knew about the abuse of power earlier and that his family had gone skiing during a holiday in South Korea with one of the accused.
An online newspaper reported last week that two senior officers were accused by sources of misusing about RM850,000 to promote Malaysia as a tourism destination, including producing a video.
"I did not know about the video, in fact I was shocked when I was told about the news.
"I do not even know how to ski and I did not go to Korea, except last year when I went for tourism promotional events," he told a press conference after launching tourism promotional booth T-Stations here Monday.
Tengku Adnan said they would also investigate to find out who was the person who revealed the information to the press.
He added that the person could be someone who was unhappy with the recent promotions in the ministry, as one of the accused was promoted.