It remains a shock for not only the victims and their families, but also for the travel and tourism industry in Germany and Europe. The shock turned into a little bit of a relief today, when a connection to terror groups was eliminated by German police and state investigators.
Today, authorities in Munich said at a press conference, the recent attack in Munich is not considered a terror attack. It’s the work of Ali David Sonboly, an 18-year-old, mentally-disturbed German-Iranian teenager. There is no connection to any Islamic terror organization.
There is so far no evidence that Munich gunman knew any of his victims, or that there was any political motivation behind the attack.
Bavarian authorities said the unman behind the Munich attack visited site of school shooting in Winnenden, Germany, and took photographs.
The Munich mall shooting suspect had 2 months’ inpatient psychiatric treatment last year.
Despite the terrible tragedy everyone can agree on, it’s a relief Islamic State or Al Qaeda did not strike again, and so far never attacked in Germany.
German law enforcement was praised after the attack, when they were able to secure an entire city of millions within minutes.
The 18 year old German-Iranian teenager who shot dead nine people in Munich was a deranged lone gunman obsessed with mass killings, police said on Saturday.
The killer had documents about spree shootings in his room at his parents’ apartment where he lived, two miles from the scene. The teenager used a Glock 17 semi-automatic handgun to kill the victims – who were aged between 13 and 45.
Police today confirmed that the teenager – whose mother works in German department store Karstadt – hacked a young woman’s Facebook account in a bid to lure children to their deaths with a promise of free food from McDonald’s.
In the post, he urged youngsters to gather at the specific restaurant yesterday afternoon to take advantage of the special offer.
At around 4.50pm, the black-clad shooter burst from the toilets in the restaurant and began ‘killing the children’ with a pistol, witnesses said.
He then continued his bloody spree in a local shopping centre and on the streets around Munich’s Olympic quarter.