SAN DIEGO, CA – The Fleet Week Sea & Air Parade is soaring back into San Diego with great fanfare as we prepare to experience the best of the US military on display and in action on September 10, 2016.
“America’s Finest City and the U.S. Navy have been strategic partners for a very long time,” said Dennis DuBard, 2016 President of the San Diego Fleet Week Foundation. “We are very excited to welcome back the Sea & Air Parade to this year’s schedule of events. This celebration allows us a chance to witness the outstanding service that our Sea Service personnel and their families provide to our region.”
The parade will run the length of San Diego Bay, beginning in Shelter Island with viewing areas all along the bayfront, from noon until 2:00 pm.
“The men and women who serve in our military are part of the fabric of our One San Diego Community,” Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer said. “The event is a great opportunity for all San Diegans to come together to celebrate these brave sailors and get a better look at the incredible technology they use to keep America safe.”
For the first time since 2008, amphibious ships, destroyers, Marine counter measure ships, submarines and ships from the Coast Guard as well as the Canadian Navy will participate. In addition there will be amphibious landing craft and demonstrations of SEAL capabilities, Coast Guard Search and Rescue, a fly-over of Navy aircraft and much more will be on display to delight the crowd.
“Your Navy in San Diego is proud to invite you to the Fleet Week Sea & Air Parade,” said RDML Mark Rich, Commander, Navy Region Southwest. “This is the first one in eight years, so it’s an event you won’t want to miss.”
Many more activities are scheduled to accompany the Sea & Air Parade. On September 10 and 11, Broadway Pier will host a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fair, ship tours, live music, food, static displays and more from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Ship tours will be open from September 10-14, also from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Broadway Pier and the B Street Pier.
“The Port of San Diego is delighted to be a major sponsor of Fleet Week, demonstrating our support and respect for the U.S. military and highlighting our role as a Strategic Port as well as our Port’s status as the Navy’s shipyard on the West Coast,” said Chairman Marshall Merrifield of the Board of Port Commissioners. “We invite the public to enjoy Fleet Week’s Sea & Air Parade on San Diego Bay, with prime viewing in many locations on the Port tidelands including Broadway and B Street Piers, Harbor Island, and Shelter Island.”
As always, Fleet Week San Diego’s events are hosted at little or no cost to the military families they honor, thanks to the financial support of the Foundation’s corporate sponsors and the commitment of our many dedicated volunteers. Members of the U.S. military are the primary honorees of these events but the local community is welcome and invited to enjoy many of these activities:
• Military Family Tailgate: Saturday, September 3, 3:00-4:30 pm, Qualcomm Stadium
• Fleet Week Golf Tournament: Friday, September 9, 11:00 am – Admiral Baker Golf Course
• Fleet Week Sea & Air Parade: Saturday, September 10, 12:00-2:00pm – San Diego Bay
• Ship Tours: September 10-14, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm – Broadway Pier
• STEM Fair: Saturday-Sunday, September 10-11, 10:00 am-4:00 pm – Broadway Pier
• Fleet Week Football Classic: Saturday, September 10, 7:30 pm – Qualcomm Stadium
• Fleet Week Foundation/SDMAC Breakfast: Wednesday, September 14 – Admiral Kidd Conference Center
• Enlisted Recognition Luncheon: Thursday, September 15, 11:45-1:30 pm – Sea World San Diego
• Coronado Speed Festival Car Procession: Thursday, September 15, 4:30 pm – Rotary Park, Coronado
• Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival: Saturday & Sunday, September 17-18 – Naval Air Station North Island
• MCAS Miramar Air Show: Friday-Sunday, September 23-25, Gates open 8:00 am daily – MCAS Miramar
• MCRD Boot Camp Challenge: Saturday, October 1, 9:00 am – MCRD San Diego
• Cabrillo Festival: Saturday, October 1, 11:00 am-4:00 pm – Navy Base Pt. Loma