BETHESDA, MD – The news is full of stories about soaring airfares, checked bag fees and extended wait times in airport security lines. When you consider the time and cost of flying, it becomes clear that travel by car is the way to go, says the non-profit Car Care Council.
“Standing in line for hours in order to board an overcrowded plane after paying extra to check bags has made air travel a real headache,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. “With no relief in sight, more and more travelers are realizing the benefits of driving to their destinations. Since a family of four can travel 1,000 miles round-trip by car for about the cost of one airline ticket, driving is clearly the sensible option.”
In addition to direct cost savings, travel by car offers a number of practical advantages over flying and lets you better enjoy the ride:
• Leave when you want, from where you want.
• Pack whatever and as much as you want.
• No waiting in long ticket counter and security lines.
• No weather delays.
• No baggage, meal or headset fees.
• More and better meal options.
• No airport parking, rental car or taxi expenses.
• More legroom and overall comfort.
• Stop and stretch any time.
• No strangers sitting next to you.
• Convenience and ease of taking your pet with you.