MEXICO CITY, Mexico – Mexico has expressed its dissatisfaction with the Egyptian government’s response to an aerial bombing in Egypt last year in which eight Mexican tourists were killed.
In a letter to the Egyptian embassy, the Mexican Foreign Ministry expressed its “surprise and dissatisfaction” with Cairo’s failure to thoroughly probe the case, punish the perpetrators and compensate victims.
The ministry also said it did not have any knowledge of media reports about negotiations with the family of one of the victims.
On Monday, The New York Times said Egypt’s Tourism Federation, which is not officially part of the Cairo government, would compensate families of three Mexican tourists who were mistakenly killed in September last year.
Egyptian security forces killed eight Mexican tourists and injured six others they had mistaken for militants in an airstrike in near a tourist site on September 13, 2015.