WASHINGTON, DC – US citizen outbound totaled 5.3 million travelers for the first month of 2016, with strong traffic to Asia, South/Central America, Middle East, Mexico and Canada.
January 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets totaled 2.3 million, up nine percent in January.
Regional results were:
• Europe, 615,000 travelers, up five percent
• Caribbean, 589,000 travelers, up five percent
• Asia, 434,000 travelers, up 11 percent
• Central America, 259,000 travelers, up 16 percent
• Middle East, 178,000 travelers, up 10 percent
• South America, 154,000 travelers, up 19 percent
• Oceania, 58,000 travelers, up nine percent
• Africa, 27,000 travelers, up six percent
U.S. travel to North American markets totaled 3.0 million, up 10 percent in January.
• Mexico, 2.489 million travelers, up 11 percent; air travel (704,000) was up 15 percent. ‘Tourist’ travels up 14 percent and ‘Border 1+ nights’ up seven percent.
• Canada, 526,000 travelers, up 10 percent; air travel (193,000) up 12 percent
January 2016 Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 43 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
o Europe, a 12 percent share;
o Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
o Asia, an eight percent share;
o Central America, a five percent share;
o Middle East, a three percent share;
o South America, a three percent share;
o Oceania, a one percent share, and
o Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 57 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel, up one percentage point from January 2015.
o U.S. travel to Mexico a 47 percent share; and
o Canada a 10 percent share.