U.S. Citizens travel abroad in increasing numbers
Unique Google headline below is not part to this eTN Article:
Sep 05, 2013
Selected Google banner below is independent from this eTN Article:
U.S. citizen outbound travel totaled 6.6 million travelers for the month of June and 29.4 million YTD.
U.S. travel to overseas markets totaled 3.3 million, up 2 percent in June and flat for the year (14.5 million). Regional results were as follows:
- Europe, 1.5 million travelers, up 3 percent
- Caribbean, 676,000 travelers, up nearly one percent
- Asia, 394,000 travelers, down 3 percent
- Central America, 279,000 travelers, up 6 percent
- South America, 172,000 travelers, up one percent
- Middle East, 168,000 travelers, up 2 percent
- Oceania, 46,000 travelers, flat
- Africa, 39,000 travelers, down almost 6 percent
U.S. travel to other North American totaled 3.2 million and was up 2 percent compared to June 2012. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (14.9 million) was flat.
Mexico, with 1.7 million travelers, was up 4 percent; however, air travel (619,000) was up ten percent.
Canada, with 1.5 million travelers, was down one percent; air travel (456,000) was up 5 percent.
June 2013 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 49 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, an 18 percent share;
- Caribbean, a 12 percent share;
- Asia, a 7 percent share;
- Central America, a 5 percent share;
- South America, a 3 percent share;
- Middle East, a 3 percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, a one percent share
Other North American markets received 51 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
U.S. travel to Mexico was at a 34 percent share; and Canada a 17 percent share.
OTTI reports U.S. outbound travel monthly by all modes, expanding beyond air-only traffic. Total departure travel, inclusive of all modes, to Canada and Mexico is reported in addition to the air-only subtotals. The timing of this report is dependent on receipt of aggregate data from Stats Canada and Banco de Mexico.
This information was received by the US Department of Commerce.