World Travel and Tourism Council’s 12th Global Summit
International professionals gather for opening of WTTC in Tokyo
The World Travel & Tourism Council’s (WTTC) 12th Global Summit opened today with 1,200 international and Japanese industry professionals and government leaders from around the world gathered at the Pamir Convention Centre in Tokyo, Japan.
The Global Summit takes place with sessions surrounding the theme, “A dynamic industry in turbulent times.” It is fitting that the Global Summit is taking place in Japan just over a year after the tragic events of March 11, 2011, and WTTC is choosing to show solidarity on behalf of the entire travel and tourism industry.
WTTC’s aim during the Global Summit and beyond is to drive the agenda for growth at the highest level of government, lead global action to influence travel and tourism, and unite the voices of members with inter-governmental agencies and other global trade associations.
In total, 64 speakers will take part throughout the two-day event including:
- Tadao Ando – Architect
- Fujio Cho - Chairman of the Board, Toyota Motor Corporation
- Parag Khanna - Director, Hybrid Reality Institute
- Atsutoshi Nishida - Chairman of the Board, Toshiba Corporation
- Taleb Rifai - Secretary-General, United Nations World Tourism Organization
- Alan Root - Wildlife Filmmaker and Adventurer
- Hon. Mr. Marthinus van Schalkwyk - Minister of Tourism, South Africa
- Maurice Strong - Founder Chairman, Cosmos International Inc.
As well as a host of the biggest names from the travel and tourism industry, including:
- Michael Frenzel - Chairman of the Executive Board, TUI AG
- James Hogan - President & Chief Executive Officer, Etihad Airways
- Shinichiro Ito - President & CEO, All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd.
- Tom Klein - President, Sabre Holdings
- Jim Murren - Chairman & CEO, MGM Resorts International
- Chris Nassetta - President and Chief Executive Officer, Hilton Worldwide
- Masaru Onishi - Chairman, Japan Airlines Co., Ltd.
- Frits van Paasschen - President & Chief Executive Officer, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
- Chen Rong, CEO - China International Travel Service
- Jeffrey Rutledge - Chairman & CEO, Travel Guard Worldwide
- John Slosar - CEO, Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.
- Hiromi Tagawa - President & CEO, JTB Corp.
- Willie Walsh - CEO International Airlines Group
- Gordon Wilson - President & CEO, Travelport Limited
In total there are 6 sessions over the course of the two days:
Wednesday, April 18 (Pamir Convention Centre, Tokyo)
Session 1 - Japan: Where Now, Where Next? (0830-1030)
Session 2 - Our Rapidly Changing World (1100-1230)
Session 3 - Airlines: Their Role & Ever-Changing Nature (1400-1515)
Special Session – Making Appealing Cities - guest presentation by Tadao Ando, Architect (1545-1615)
Session 4 - Our Story: Speaking with One Voice (1615-1730)
Thursday, April 19 (Pamir Convention Centre, Tokyo)
Session 5 - Understanding Tomorrow's Consumers (0830-1005)
Special session – Toyota’s Vision for Future Vehicles – guest presentation by Fujio Cho, CEO, Toyota (1100-1130)
Session 6 - Tourism for Tomorrow (1130-1310)
For the full Summit Program, go to: http://www.hoteldulouvre.com/en/paris-tourism/landmarks/palais-royal.asp...? .
David Scowsill, President and CEO, WTTC, said: “This will be a truly great Global Summit with contributions from some of the biggest names in the travel and tourism industry and beyond. People meet, do business, and network at the Global Summit. It helps to bring the industry together to present a more united, coordinated front to the world. During the next day and a half, we will drive our global themes of growth, jobs, exports, coalition, and sustainability.”