Hotels-Airlines-Cruises- CVBs -Destinations-People
Nominate or see who is on THE LIST
Phuket hotel guests rushed to hospital
30 tourists hospitalized after chlorine leak at Thai hotel pool
Feb 20, 2012
Over 30 hotel guests, many of them foreign visitors, were hospitalized Saturday on the Thai resort island of Phuket after a chlorine leak at a hotel swimming pool, local officials said.
The accident occurred shortly after 10am local time at the Phuket Orchid Resort and Spa hotel on Karon beach, according to chief investigator Lieutenant Colonel Chavalit Pethsripia.
He said more than 30 people suffered minor injuries after they were exposed to an unhealthily high level of chlorine in the pool.
Advertisement: Story continues below The leak caused skin irritation and sore eyes, according to director Phumin Silapan at the local Patong hospital.
"There are 37 people hospitalised, including 26 foreigners," he said, adding that 12 had already been discharged while 25 were referred to a larger hospital.
One of those referred was a pregnant tourist who had breathing difficulties after inhaling the chemical, he said.
Among those that went to hospital were 10 Norwegian and nine Swedish nationals, with five Swedes still in hospital, one of them in a serious condition, Sweden's foreign ministry said.
The Norwegian foreign ministry said all of its nationals had left or were in the process of leaving hospital.