Valentine's Day and President's Day long weekend getaways
Romantic national park getaways revealed
WASHINGTON, D.C. - With Valentine's Day upon us and President's Day long weekend fast approaching, February is the perfect time to plan a romantic activity or getaway in one of America's nearly 400 national parks. In fact, on Monday, February 20 all parks are free to visitors. So, whether you only have an evening or the entire holiday weekend, the national parks are an ideal destination for a romantic retreat this month.
1. Watch the sunset at Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (California)
Join a ranger for an easy hike to Rancho Sierra Vista and enjoy the romantic scenery as the sun sets and the evening wildlife comes alive. Bring binoculars and flashlight. Meet at main parking lot at 5pm. All ages welcome. Rain cancels.
2. Paddle together in the Florida Bay at Everglades National Park (Florida)
Start the day off right with a Flamingo Morning Canoe Trip through freshwater marsh and mangrove swamp while enjoying a variety of wildlife including birds, dolphins and manatees.
3. Enjoy a scenic wagon ride in Oxon Cove Park/Oxon Hill Farm (Maryland)
Relax and enjoy a scenic wagon ride through the park to discover some of the natural and cultural jewels of Oxon Cove Park.
4. Take your love bird on a birding adventure at Padre Island National Seashore (Texas)
Padre Island National Seashore is one of the top birding places in the nation. Join us as we take you on a birding tour to various parts of the island.
5. Walk along the beach at Virgin Islands National Park (Virgin Islands)
Take a stroll along Trunk Bay, considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and then spend the afternoon exploring the 225-yard long underwater snorkeling trail.