Submit Press release  · eTN Team ·  Advertising  ·  eTN Awards  - Worldtourism Events    

Tourists Killed

UK revises Trinidad and Tobago travel warning

Aretha Welch  Aug 05, 2009

As a result of attack on two British nationals in Bacolet, Tobago, the British High Commission will be moving to update the travel advisory that has been issued about Trinidad and Tobago within the next 24 to 48 hours, according to Deputy British High Commissioner Geoff Patton.

Speaking during a brief interview with the local media Express Monday, Patton said, "The document is updated regularly and will be updated in relation to this weekend's attacks."

The advisory, which was last updated on June 11 this year, states, "...Crime against tourists in Tobago and the inability of the Tobago authorities to apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators remains a concern."

Patton said thus far the British High Commission does not know that there are any definite leads that will help the authorities in relation to the Greenes's situation and there is no word on a solid motive for the attacks just yet. But he said the Commission was confident the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service was doing all in its power to solve the crime.

Thus far, no one has been arrested for the murder of a Swedish couple that was chopped to death in October last year in Tobago.

Days later, two British women were allegedly raped in front of their husbands by a lone assailant at Black Rock.

In the wake of the weekend's attacks on the Greenes, the Trinidad and Tobago government issued a release condemning the incident.

Patton also said the British High Commission was in the process of informing and updating members of the couple's immediate family in England about the attacks and the victims' medical condition.

In the last year the US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia have also issued adverse travel advisories for Trinidad and Tobago in relation to the worrying crime situation.

UK revises Trinidad and Tobago travel warning

Premium Partners